Saturday, May 26, 2012

confidence & an identity in Christ.

happy saturday friends! for this series on confidence, i wanted to get wisdom from someone older and wiser... so i decided to interview my grandmother. her answers are very direct and to the point, and sometimes that is simply the best thing... btw, i LOVE her answer to #3. hope this encourages you ladies! thank you grandma for sharing your wisdom with us! 
_________________________________________________________________


1. Have you struggled with insecurity? What kinds of insecurities have you struggled with?
  • Yes, most diffinitely have struggled with insecurity. Mine have mostly been low self-esteem and fear of failure to live up to expectations I think others have for me.


2. Look at the culture now and the present generation of teen girls and young adult women. Do you think that much has changed since you were that age? Are women currently more insecure, less insecure, or is the level of insecurity about the same since you were in your teen and early adult years? 



Okay we are talking about a big age gap here. I would have to say that this generation of teens and young women would be under so much more pressure because the culture has changed a great deal. I grew up in the 50's. Women were not expected to go out and compete with men for jobs. We dreamed of getting married and raising a family. We were not bombarded with the same type of movies, tv etc. that comes today. The family unit was much closer and the world was a safer place (or so it seems). There were no cell phones or computers and people actually talked to each other face to face.

3. What does it mean to have an identity in Christ?



I am His child liberated and depending on His power.

4. How does your relationship with Christ cultivate confidence? 



 I can do all things through Christ Who strengthens me.

5. Does confidence get easier the older you get? 



Yes and no. Yes because we are more mature (hopefully) and our experiences help. And no because it still takes keeping my eyes on the Lord. When I start thinking about me then I have trouble. I must depend on Him day by day.

6. Do you ever struggle with letting other people or other things define your worth as a woman? How do you only let the Lord define your worth?

When I was much younger I was what I would call a people pleaser but I finally came to realize I must please only the Lord. I want to be obedient to Him.

7. What is the biggest thing you think young women need to know when it comes to their value, worth, and confidence? 



Your questions have touched on the answwer to this question and that is knowing who you are in Christ. We are certainly of great value since He gave His life for us. We need to realize that God is Who He says He is and can do what He says He can do and we are who He says we are in Christ. Read, study and meditate on His word so we know this.

8. Do you have a scripture to encourage women who are seeking to be confident and defined by the love of Jesus and not defined by the world?



 I will share with you the verse He gave me a few years ago when I was dealing with an insecurity. 2nd Tim 1:7 says "For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but a spirit of 
power, of love and of self-discipline." He has brought this verse to my mind many times.


_________________________________________________________________


a picture of my grandma and grandpa at our wedding...isn't she lovely? 

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...